Friday, June 4, 2010

RESULTS DAY

Many of you are already aware, but I have been doing a specific 25 day weight loss program designed by a fellow colleague in fitness over the past few weeks.  It is an EXTREMELY intensive program, that includes a regimented diet and an average of two workouts a day for the duration of the 25 day program.  It is called the Xtreme Fat Loss Diet, by Joel Marion, a sports nutritionist and personal trainer that has put tons of research and client experience into the development of the program.  It is NOT for the timid and would likely be too much for a completely deconditioned (out of shape) individual, but I would say that it is definitely effective.

My goal was to basically see how lean I could get in less than a month.  It's true that I was already quite lean, somewhere just under 10% body fat, but I had never attempted to get as shredded as possible with a coordinated exercise AND nutrition program prior.  I was always able to "get away with" eating pretty much anything I wanted while staying trim.  Partly due, in blessing, to being gifted it genetically (thanks mom and dad:), and mostly due to the high activity level and generally healthy lifestyle I lead.  Either way, I wanted to see how well I could adhere to such a program and what kind of results I would get.

Yesterday evening I actually completed the 25th day of the program, and I am certainly grateful it's done.  Not just because it was challenging physically and mentally, but because I had made a decision to lay off of my martial arts training during that time.  It simply would have been too much...too time consuming and it would have led to over-training.  Since the martial arts are my deepest passion, it was especially difficult to put that part aside.

I had been diligent every step of the way, from taking appropriate baseline measurements on Day 1 to completing each and EVERY workout scheduled each day, while relentlessly following the rigorous 5 day nutrition cycles that involved everything from a heaven-sent cheat day to a spiritually challenging fasting day, a shake-only day, a moderate carb-boost day and finally a protein-only (depletion) day.  It was perhaps one of the most difficult fitness programs I've ever had to do...but I am proud (and grateful) that I took it through to completion!

Since last night ended the program, I had my ending measurements taken this morning to assess the final verdict and I am getting after photos taken tonight at 6pm (watch over the next couple days for snapshots from that to come out in contrast to the before pics taken!).  I was impressed with the final results:

Beginning weight on May 11th:   155.2 lbs.
Ending weight on June 4th:         150 lbs.

Beginning body fat:       9.8 % (Skyndex calipers)
Ending body fat:           7.5 % (Skyndex calipers)

In addition, my blood pressure, resting heart rate and BMI (Body Mass Index) all went down significantly as well (for example: resting heart rate went from 62 bpm to 45 bpm over this period).  That's very important for the lifelong health components as many of these measurements impact one's likelihood of certain diseases like cancer, heart conditions, stroke and diabetes.

These results can be considered DRAMATIC, given that this was a 3.5 week period that I lost 5.2 lbs and 2.3% body fat.  That means I lost just shy of 4 lbs. of pure body fat, and the other 1.2 lbs. was likely from corresponding water loss because I can tell you for certain that I did NOT lose any lean tissue (muscle) during that time...and I am DEFINITELY stronger!  Nothing shy of amazing, and I am certainly impressed.

What does this all mean for you?

Certainly, my point is not to boast on what I have done or how good I look now.  Many of you know me well enough to understand that is not how I am.  However, it illustrates how significant it is to follow the principles of fitness and to stay committed no matter how challenging and unrealistic it might seem.

In my impending book, The True Way to Fitness, I identify the key principles and most effective strategies to achieve any and every fitness goal, and I make it as practical and as simple as possible so you can put it to use.  I know that getting the mental, physical and spiritual aspects of our lives in unison is fundamental to ensuring success in any venture, and fitness is no different.  My goal is to put everything together to empower you to achieve whatever it is you want (and need) from fitness, and ultimately life.  It's your turn to get the body of your dreams and to create a lifestyle of fitness and health that you can sustain for life.

Continue to follow my articles, blog postings and nutritious recipes and together we will create a culture of fitness where the True Way is our way of living!

Please feel free to check out Joel Marion's Xtreme Fat Loss Diet Program for yourself.  I think that my program (when I finally finish it here...current deadline is July 31st!) will be more realistic and sustainable for creating a fitness lifestyle (while certainly still getting you real results), but in the meantime I know Joel's program works and it may just be worth a shot for you!

Again the link to Joel's program is: Xtreme Fat Loss Diet Program.  Feel free to check it out.


Yours in Fitness,

Chad R. Johnson
Certified Personal Trainer (ACE)
Strength Coach (CSCS)
Martial Arts Instructor (WTF Taekwondo, 3rd degree)

Please join my blog to become an official follower, and look for my link in Facebook coming soon!

No comments: